David Prowse, The Original Darth Vader, Dies At 85

By Armando

David Prowse, best known for playing the original Darth Vader in the Star Wars movies, has passed away on Sunday, his management company announced. He was 85.

Prowse suffered from Alzheimer’s. According to his daughter, he had been in the hospital for two weeks. He passed away due to coronavirus complications.

“It’s with great regret and heart-wrenching sadness for us and million of fans around the world, to announce that our client DAVE PROWSE M.B.E. has passed away at the age of 85,” Bowington Management said on Twitter Sunday.

“David brought a physicality to Darth Vader that was essential for the character,” Star Wars creator George Lucas said in a statement posted on StarWars.com. “He made Vader leap off the page and on to the big screen, with an imposing stature and movement performance to match the intensity and undercurrent of Vader’s presence. David was up for anything and contributed to the success of what would become a memorable, tragic figure. May he rest in peace.”

As Darth Vader in Star Wars, Prowse wore the iconic black suit and helmet, while actor James Earl Jones provided the voice.

Prowse also appeared in Stanley Kubrick’s classic dystopian crime film A Clockwork Orange (1971), and as Frankentstein’s monster in Casino Royale (1967) which marked his debut, and the Hammer horrors The Horror of Frankenstein (1970) and Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974).

A bodybuilder and weightlifting champion, Prowse had a hand in helping Christopher Reeves achieve his physique for the 1978 superhero film by Richard Donner “Superman”, having trained Reeves for six weeks. “He was fantastic. He was a very lovely person,” Prowse said of Reeve. “We were like brothers, we got along so well together. And during the course of the period I had him, I took him from 170 pounds when we started and he was 212 [pounds] when he went into the suit.”

Share

“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” Teaser Trailer Released

By Creative Media Times

Lucasfilm Ltd.

Director J.J. Abrams has released the very first trailer “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” during Star Wars Celebration in event in Chicago on Friday, April 12, giving fans the first look of the highly anticipated final entry in the epic saga.

Abrams, who also directed the first installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy The Force Awakens (2015) were in attendance for the announcement, along with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, and some of the film’s cast Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, and Naomi Ackie.

The trailer shows Daisy Ridley’s character Rey, standing alone in an unknown desert planet, wielding her light saber at an incoming starcraft.

“We’ve passed on all we know,” Luke Skywalker says in the background. “A thousand generations live in you now. But this is your fight.”

We then see shots of characters new and old including Finn, Poe, Lando Calrissian, C-3PO, BB-8, Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, and of Princess Leia, played by the late Carrie Fisher. We also see a poignant shot of what looks like the Medal of Bravery which Leia gave to Luke and Han Solo at the end of “Star Wars: A New Hope.”

Towards the end of the trailer, we see Rey and company, then we hear Luke once again. “We’ll always be with you. No one’s ever really gone,” Luke said. Then, the big surprise at the end, we hear a familiar creepy laugh of Ian McDiarmid’s Emperor Palpatine while the title appears.

In many ways, the trailer is perfect. It offers enough nostalgia, with minimal details but enough glimpses of the characters to whet our appetite until the next trailer arrives.

“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” is scheduled for release on December 20, 2019.

Share